Saturday, March 15, 2008

Dribble on a Landmark: The Cage

In a little place called Sapokanikan by 16th century Native Americans (and called "The Independent Republic of Greenwich Village" by Marcel Duchamp) lies the heart of bohemian culture, fresh-from-the-market thinking, new and improved ideas, coffee & tea houses, independent record shops, and big beefy (and sweaty) guys banging boards, draining treys, and muscling down low in the post. That's right people - it's basketball time! The West 4th Street Court, or "The Cage", is the center of street-basketball in New York City, and also caters to a yoga class serving the physically disabled*.





Many famous NBA ballers have come from the rough and tumble** asphalt of The Cage to make their mark: Dr. J, Jayson Williams, and Anthony Mason! This dude used to scare the hell out of me and everyone within fifteen feet when I was kid!




*Lie

** Due to the court's smaller dimensions,
a more physical style of play has developed,
perhaps leading to the reason I still can't
sleep at night...

1 comment:

Christel Bennett said...

Your writing leaves me jiggly on the inside with laughter that is so deep and profound, it just won't come out - that is, until I've read something else you've written and I'm chuckling to myself making whoever walks by wonder what the hell is wrong with me...
I can't wait to see what makes it onto this page. Between the booze, babes, and bratwurst, you guys are going to have your hands full.
I hope you have a blast.